Re: [RTTY] Windows Vista with Santa Cruz

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Windows Vista with Santa Cruz
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:29:44 -0600

> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:37:03 -0700
> From: Jim McDonald <jim@n7us.net>
> Subject: [RTTY] Windows Vista with Santa Cruz
> To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>

> The answer is not what I wanted to hear.
>
> Jim N7US

Jim, althought I don't doubt some technical significance in the quality of
the soundcard used, I've never had a problem winning RTTY contests or
working rare dx with my host of "onboard" soundcards.  Both of the computers
at W5WMU are using ki5xp "cheapo homebrew" pc's (K7SEM, not the callsign,
but the board model number) with Onboard soundcards.  One's an SIS chipset
and the other is a AD audio somethinganother.

I don't buy into this supreme soundcard performance edge.  Heck, the Santa
Cruz doesn't even pass Writelog's own test program for full duplex audio.

Get into MMTTY, tune to WWV and set the clock rate adjustment, set the TX
adjustment to the same (unless you use FSK, then don't worry), and you'll be
just fine.

Paying a supreme price for a soundcard to use on RTTY with MMTTY is a waste
of money.

Charlie
KI5XP