Re: [RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

To: "'Robert Chudek - K0RC'" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:01:57 -0400
K0RC writes:

> I analyzed the Top-10, the Top-20, and the Top-30 station
> statistics that were reported. In all three analysis:
>
> 1) the SOnR stations averaged 17.7 to 21.3 percent more QSO's
> 2) the SOnR stations averaged 5.9 to 6.6 percent more multipliers
> 3) the SOnR stations averaged 25.6 to 30.6 percent more gain in score
>
> Conclusion: SOnR stations have a scoring advantage over SO1R stations.
> For this particular contest it is not the 40% advantage that was being
> suggested, but I think 25% of *anything* should be considered
> significant.

Your analysis is completely flawed ... the only valid comparisons are:
"how many additional QSOs were made on the second radio" and "how many
unique multipliers were made on the second radio."  Until you can
document how the second radio was used, it is possible that the
difference is due to operator skill, propagation or location advantage,
antennas or even luck.

In addition, you cannot make a statistically valid sample from one
tail of any population distribution ... to be significant the study
requires a sufficiently large random sample.  The "top 10, top 20
or top 30" are by no means random.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

effective  Until