[RTTY] Backup / partitioning recommendations

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Backup / partitioning recommendations
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 07:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net> wrote:

> If you're backing up 40 Gb from your C drive, you need to do some
> pruning. With that amount of data, I'd recommend two drives, a
> relatively small C drive and a relatively large D drive. Have all
> your programs and application data on the C drive and your documents,
> images and whatever else on the D drive. That way, you can image only
> the C drive, which is by far the most critical since it contains the
> operating system and app data files, and do simple backups on the D
> drive which is much less critical, since it contains files which are
> not dependent on each other such as the registry, etc.

A slightly different point of view.

Have *three* partitions:

  C:\ which has the operating system ONLY

  D:\ which has all your application PROGRAMS (like MS office)

  E:\ which has all your data

Don't install any applications in C:\Program Files - install them in D:\.  Most
of the time you will have a choice - sometimes you do not.

Then you only *really* need to back up the E:\ drive.  Operating system and
applications can be re-installed from original media, but your user data is
irreplaceable.

I have moved my "My Documents" folder to the E:\ (data) partition (right-click
on the icon [Properties] and change the target).  I save my Quicken data on
that partition as well.  I back up my DX4WIN and Writelog data to that
partition.

I have a separate partition for photos, but that's another story.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us