Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth proposal

To: Ed <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth proposal
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:56:41 -0500
On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:47 PM, Ed wrote:

> 1. Has the ARRL ever proposed any changes without a financial
> inducement to their proposals?

Has anyone? <grin>

> 2. Has the FCC ever done anything but "rubber stamp" these proposals?

Uh, yeah! I can think of a couple of occasions where the ARRL pushed
really hard on a proposal, and the FCC eventually did not adopt it.

Currently, the ARRL recommended that the FCC drop code requirements
for the Tech Plus and General and keep it for the Extra. However, the
FCC has proposed to drop the code requirement entirely.

So, it's definitely not a rubber stamp process, and the outcome is
certainly uncertain.

> Speaking frankly, I do not believe "comments to the FCC" will result
> in a single change. The ARRL and the FCC have been "in bed" with each
> other for too long.

I appreciate your cynicism. If there are lots of negative comments,
the most likely result is the FCC will choose not to act.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901