Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:15:54 -0600
OK, I have to put a word in here. This is amateur radio. Why would we need
a protocol that required a $1K modem to decode? What are we (at least some
of us) doing that makes it necessary to transmit a signal that cannot be
easily decoded? Maybe it has a great application for commercial use, but
why do we need such a thing on OUR bands? Sure it CAN be done. Does that
mean we have to have it? I don't think so. And I think a lot of other
people feel the same way. If you want that kind of privacy and throughput
you need a commercial connection. We hear a lot of complaining that there
is not enough spectrum now. If we adopt wider bandwidth signals there will
be less room for us in the future. I have commented on this several times
to the league and just got the run around. My division director (who is on
the executive committee) told me that he was not comfortable with
semi-automatic operation allowed anywhere on the sub-band. But that is how
it came out of the executive committee.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.