Re: [RTTY] FT1000D tuning speed problem/question

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FT1000D tuning speed problem/question
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:10:45 -0600
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:59:41 -0800
> From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
> Subject: [RTTY] FT1000D tuning speed problem/question
> To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
>
> I have two FT-1000D's and during the recent rtty contest
> discovered the newer unit does not tune at same speed as the
> older unit making tuning 170 cycle shift signals difficult at
> best.  The older 90's model, seems to have a slow tune rate
> about 2.5 khz per revolution of the knob and a fast rate of
> about 10 khz per revolution of the knob depending on how fast
> you turn the knob.  The newer model 2000+ purchase date has
> only ONE tuning rate which is 10 khz per full rotation of the
> tuning knob which makes tuning 170 cycle shift signals very
> difficult.  Did Yaesu change the opto-coupler system on their
> ft1000's somewhere along the line or do I have a problem with my unit?
>
> Not getting much from Yaesu technical support and most of
> their current employees have been recently hired away by the
> city of Los Angeles!!  I can't reach anyone their with any
> solid background in the ft1000 series to answer my question.
>
> Van, K7VS (wa7fab)

Van,

Check out my numerous posts in 3830 bellyaching about the exact same
subject!  There, is to my knowledge, no way to slow this down, and I find
this the most disturbing part of using the 1000D's for RTTY.  Its tuning
rate is WAY to fast for rtty use.  I purchased a Pro3 to match my Pro2 last
year in Dayton, and will be using both of these this year at W5WMU.

He says he doesn't mind them for CW, but I feel that he's probably missing
some of the Runs as you pass right over the top of them while tuning too
fast.

In my opinion this and the lack of dsp noise reduction and the rudimentary
shift and bandwidth knobs, make this a poor rtty radio.  Most of the time,
Im relegated to using the 500hz filter, which is entirely too wide for rtty
operation during a contest.  Also the width and shift knobs are not the same
on both radios, making it difficult to remember where  the "sweet spot" is
if I attempt to use the 250hz filter.  One "click" off and the signal wont
print.  I've found times where I wish the shift were somewhere between the
two clicks that you're allowed to select.

Charlie
KI5XP