[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP ARRL RRU

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP ARRL RRU
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:34:01 -0000
Hi all,

Well, at least I made it into the contest this year! I can't honestly use
the word "missed" about last year, as I really wasn't aware of it being on,
due to a broken arm, plus morphine and other painkillers that left me
without a care in the world!

Here is my effort, with the waffle at the end!
Call: GU0SUP
Operator(s): GU0SUP
Station: GU0SUP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GU
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

------------
   80:   33
   40:   34
   20:  253
   15:   20
   10:    0
------------
Total:  340  State/Prov = 41  Countries = 49  Total Score = 30,600
Not quite the 500, but an improvement on previous entries in this contest!
States worked were: MA   ME   NH   RI   NJ   NY   MD   DC   PA   AL   FL
GA   KY   NC   SC   TN   VA   AR   LA   TX
CA   AZ   OR   WA   MI   OH   IL   IN   WI   CO   IA   KS   MN   MO   NE
Provinces worked: NF   NB   NS   QC   ON   AB

My thoughts on the contest:
This year, I had hoped for a good entry, and was aiming at 500+ Q's.
I was there at the start, and there were W/VE's on 15m, so that looked to be
a good start! But, I made 2 contacts on 15m, and the band just died. OK,
down to 20m, and yes, the band seemed in good shape, with W6RLL, VE6WQ, plus
others in the log. I even found 4U1WB for that DC mult!
Went to 40m around 2120 and worked a few, but the band wasn't good, and even
the G's were inaudible. Went to 80m and picked up a few mults, then called
CQ, but that just got me a run of the usual EU signals, and no more mults.
Went back to 40m, but there wasn't really enough to make it worth staying
up, and I just don't have a good enough set-up for the low-bands, so it was
time for bed around 2230.
I had planned to get up around 0600 or before, and did wake up, but then
fell asleep again, and didn't get to the shack till about 0730.
Was pleased to work a few W/VE's on 80m, and also picked up a few mults and
then it was on to 40. Great to work ZL2AMI (Thanks Bob, and good to see you
again!), and HI3TEJ was a nice mult on 40m too.
By 0830, I was on 20m, and stayed there for most of the day, as there just
weren't enough mults on 15m to make the trip worthwhile.
I quit early, as I was tired, cold, 20m had closed early, 40 was poor, and
there was precious little on 80m. This was around 1900UTC.
I did go back to the shack to shut it all down (around 2100), and after
doing the saves and closing WL, I checked 15m for some reason, and heard
K4GMH and a few others booming in! And still 20m was dead here!

After seeing some of the comments about "unsportsmanlike" behaviour, I have
to say that I got plagued by folk who insisted on calling me during the
midst of an exchange, which meant asking for repeats. Sometimes more than
once!
I am sure I will also be in the logs of some of these folk, who think they
worked me, but they received an exchange MEANT for me!
Part of this was because there were lots of folk sending TU 599 001 001 BK?
without ANY callsign attached. Not good practice!

My CQ sessions were generally short, and although they produced some nice
runs, I often ended up with a "big gun" working me, and then sitting 200Hz
away and calling CQ, or it just ran out of steam.
I did concentrate on working as many mults as possible, and like most other
folk, couldn't find any WV or DE stations.
Jacob K8JWT could have some great fun in such contests where States are
mults!
OK, I missed out on a lot of other States as well, but I didn't really
expect to work ND, SD, MT etc anyway.
I also missed out on P49X, KP2D, NP4BM and a few others, as the pile-ups on
them were just too unruly.
I did hear Rich 9M2CNC on 40m loud and clear, but he was S&P. One day, Rich!
Another one that escaped was CT ! I heard May WA1EHK, but she was quite weak
here and didn't hear me. I never did hear another CT.

There were a few that weren't really sure of my call, and I also noted a few
that didn't acknowledge my repeat of the call. There were also some that
never seemed to acknowledge a contact, and simply sent a CQ out instead of a
TU QRZ?

Thanks to all for the points, and hope to see you all in the BARTG later
this month.
My log is now on LoTW.

73 and HNY to each and every one!
Phil GU0SUP