[RTTY] A message from AA5AU

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] A message from AA5AU
From: <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:18:41 -0400
Hello friends.  I am safe in Shreveport, Louisiana but I only have internet
access at the public library.  I have 163 messages in my In Box, many of which
are from subscribers who are concerned about me and my safety.  I do not have
time to go through all the messages now, but I hope to have a better Internet
connection in the future.  I do have my laptop with me.   I want to thank each
of you that have expressed concerned for my safety.

First off, I want to tell you that I do not live in New Orleans or the east
bank of the Mississippi River so I am confident my home is not under water like
what you are seeing on TV.  I live in Harvey, Louisiana,  located on the west
bank of the river.  I have had many, many unconfrimed reports that there is no
water at all in my neighborhood.  The problem I will have is, of course, my two
towers.

I do have a confirmed report that all the telephone poles lining a main
thoroughfare leading into my neighborhood all fell across one side of the road
from the northeast.  This is good.  This means that if my towers fell, they
fell behind my house (I hope).  Unfortunately, both towers, although guyed,
were attached to the house.  So I don't know if they took out a wall if or when
they fell or I guess it could be a miracle and they are still standing.  The
tower at my office is down along with the A3S beam.  That is confirmed as
someone has made it to my office in St. Rose.  The tower at my office is the
only damage or water in the office there, thankfully because it is on the east
bank.

I have heard, but have not confirmed, that we will be allowed back into the
westbank on Monday, September 5, to assess our homes, gather the rest of
belongings, and then we have to leave again for as long as a month.  I have
both home owners and flood insurance, so I am in pretty good shape and do not
need any assistance at this time.

Shay and I fled the storm Saturday afternoon and are holed up in a hotel here
in Shreveport.  It is a very difficult time for us as Shay is missing some
family members that did not heed the warnings and stayed instead of evacuating.
 And of course, it is very difficult to see the carnage on the east bank and to
see our beloved New Orleans in such total destruction.

This is all I have for now.  If you have sent me E-mail, I promise to reply to
each and every one when I get a better Internet connection.  I do not know when
that will be.

I did not take any radio equipment with me so I have no communications other
than my cellphone at this time.  If I make it back to check on my house, I will
make another post.  Hopefully I have a home to go back to.  If not, I will
rebuild.

I will also try to post updates on my whereabouts and situation at
http://aa5au.com when possible.

Please pray for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Thank you,
Don AA5AU