[RTTY] Kenwood TS-850 filter switch question

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Kenwood TS-850 filter switch question
From: "David Ashworth" <fathom@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:48:18 -0000
Hi to all, having a good time in the XE test.  It is amazing to me what will
actually get through very close spaced 40 meter fellow contesters.  I have a
real simple question, you might even call it a dumb question.  I have a KW
TS-850 with the YK88SN-1  1.8 SSB filter in the 8830 KHz spot and a IR#528
(YG455C1 from KW) 455KHz CW filter in the 455 KHz spot in the radio.  Now, I
have looked at the manual from Kenwood and the sheet from IR, and $*@!!
This closed spaced 40 meter conditions got me thinking. Don't know if the
switches are set right for this setup.  Would anyone know the correct switch
settings for the filters I am using?  Also, when you engage the 455kHz
filter, is the audio supposed to sound like you are up in the woods with a
bunch of crickets on a hot summer night?  Mode is FSK. Thank you for your
help and a pleasure to work you Gentlemen/Ladies.  Dave, NC6P