Re: [RTTY] FSK vs AFSK

To: Ron <kk7go@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK vs AFSK
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:20:48 -0800
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:50:50 -0800, Ron wrote:

>Ok, I am sure this subject has been beat too death. So...What the verdict?
>Which way should I go? AFSK or FSK?
>Thanks
>Ron
>KK7GO

I concur with the others that FSK is the way to go, but there is one
small advantage to AFSK:  You can use both AFC and NET at the same
time if you wish.  I don't believe this is sufficient advantage to
choose AFSK, but you should be aware of it.  AFC and NET together
makes tuning less critical, which may be important if you're using
relatively wide bandwidth for receiving.  If you're using less than
about 300 Hz bandwidth, there is little advantage to be gained.

--
Bill W6WRT