Re: [RTTY] RITTY vs MMTTY

To: "Jacques RAMBAUD" <f6bki@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RITTY vs MMTTY
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:00:00 -0700
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:21:22 -0000, Jacques RAMBAUD wrote:

>Hello, I see  some people are still using K6STI  RITTY
>software , how does it compare with MMTTY ?? side by side,
>never had the chance to do it
>Thanks
>Jacques F6BKI

For several years I have had my main contest computer running WriteLog
with the MMTTY engine and a second computer running RITTY by K6STI
with the same audio feed for receive only.

While MMTTY is pretty good at decoding, RITTY is clearly better.
Whenever MMTTY prints garbled text, I glance at the RITTY computer and
it usually gets it right, unless the signal is just too weak or
covered with QRM/QRN.  In fairness to MMTTY, there are occasional
times when it decodes better than RITTY, but the vast majority of the
time it's the other way around.

I once asked K6STI if RITTY had to be a DOS program and he replied
yes, because in DOS he could address the sound card directly, whereas
Windows acted as an intermediary and the timing could not be made good
enough.

I wouldn't be without it.

--
Bill W6WRT