Re: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AUContestNotes for CQW

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AUContestNotes for CQWW RTTY now on-line)
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:35:10 +0000
At 01:54 PM 10/2/2004 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
Jerry Pixton wrote:

Since the JPS NIR-12 filters were not available, last spring I opted for the MFJ 784B Audio DSP filters which I put in series from my radios, FT1000mp and IC756proII, to the sound cards. In spite of good filtering in both radios, the audio filters make a BIG difference. I have the audio filters set up with a 500 hz and a 250 hz position as well as a twin peaked position. With the hundreds of stations on 20 meters last week end I could search in the 250 hz position and generally seperate almost all stations. The occassional stations that were sitting almost on top of each other, I just put on the bandmap and moved on unless they were a multi. If they were 50 hz or so apart then the twin peak filter was useful. I would say that the audio filters made a big improvement in my station.
Do the outboard DSP filters do anything that the radios' built-in DSP filters and de-noisers cannot?

Absolutely!

As you recall some months ago I figured out how to get the best filtering out of my IC756proII by using the LSB-data filters instead of the RTTY filters. And the FT1000mp has a good set of filters.

But the outboard DSP filters have a much steeper slope that really enhances the audio that goes to the soundboard for MMTTY, etc to work with. Don pointed this out some time ago, and I bought one DSP unit to try, used it for one contest and immediately bought the second unit for the other radio. About half the time on a busy contest band, like 20 was the other day, I use the narrowest filters from the radios (250 hz) AND the 250 hz DSP rtty filter on the outboard unit.

BTW, I rarely use the DSP filtering in the FT1000mp - it never seems to do anything for rtty.

Jerry, W6IHG

As far as I'm aware, the twin peak filter is the only feature mentioned that the MP doesn't have at all (don't know about the Pro-II) but both bandpass and twin-peak filtering are also available in MMTTY.

Or do the outboard DSP boxes really perform so much better than the DSP options in the radios and in MMTTY?

------------------------------------------ Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC http://www.pixos.com/designs/RadioTuner/ jpixton@shentel.net ------------------------------------------