[RTTY] W6WRT experiences

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] W6WRT experiences
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:49:06 -0700
For some reason I decided to try a single band effort this year.
Don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do.  Had a
good time, all except for one ugly frequency fight with a PI
station... It was clearly my frequency, but he jumped in and
started calling CQ.  Asked him to please QSY (no response) and after
about three or four minutes of dueling CQs, he gave up.

This behavior is so rare I can't remember the last time it happened
(well, actually I can) but thankfully nearly all RTTY ops are true
gentlemen.  I suspect it happened because he left to work another band
and came back to find his old frequency occupied.  If you leave long
enough for me to call CQ three or four times with no response, it's no
longer yours.  If I call CQ once and I hear what sounds like another
QSO, I'll QSY.

And yes, I do listen first, but in a contest, not very long.  :-)

Picked up four new countries, now have 249 worked on RTTY.

The details:

2004
CQ World-Wide RTTY DX Contest

CALL:   W6WRT
        Single Operator
        One Radio
        Single Band:  20 meters
        High Power:   1500 watts

        QSOs    Pts     Zn      DX:     St      Multipliers   Score
80m        0
40m:       0
20m:     754    1587    31      76      49
15m:       0
10m:       0

Tot:     754    1587    31      76      49      156            247572

Station Description
Antenna:        Cubex 4 element quad
Transceiver:    IC-746PRO
Amplifier:      Command HF-2500