Re: [RTTY] More on RTTY Frequency

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] More on RTTY Frequency
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:42:11 -0700
On Aug 29, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Dick Kriss, AA5VU wrote:
He came back saying he was reading
14085.3. I thanked him for sharing and after the QSO I noted my Kenwood
TS-570D(G) was displaying 14089.33.

His/your reference oscillator may be off. Could be both :-).

In fact, I had just yesterday opened up my FT-1000MP and adjusted my TCXO. I'd not bothered to check since upgrading the rig with the TXCO-6 years ago and when I recently checked, I'd found that it had drifted by 70 Hz.

A TCXO only assures temperature stability, not absolute dial reading unless you calibrate it against a known good source.

A good way for us RTTY guys to figure out how far off the reference oscillator is, is to place your rig into RTTY mode (or AFSK etc) and then tune precisely to 10.000.00 (or whatever Excel spreadsheet you are using says the dial reading should be :-). If you can, don't tune with the rig's VFO dial, either key the frequency in from a keypad or use computer control to set the frequency.

With the rig in RTTY mode, WWV's carrier should now appear where the mark tone should be. You can then watch how far off the tone is either on a cross ellipse display, a spectrum or a waterfall display. Adjust the reference oscillator until WWV's carrier is smack on top of the mark tone.

You can of course do it by zero beating WWV by ear in LSB or USB modes, but you can do it easier with the tools we RTTY'ers already have.

73
Chen, W7AY