Re: [RTTY] Distortion

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Distortion
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:14:49 -0700
On Aug 24, 2004, at 9:23 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

I would be wary of trying to narrow the RTTY signal by reducing the sidebands.
RTTY is a form of FM (think of a carrier modulated by a square wave) and as
such, sidebands are necessary to permit the receiver to recreate the original
signal. Reducing the sidebands causes rounding of the square wave and thereby
reduces the number of milliseconds the output wave spends at full power.

Without knowing it, you probably have already worked some on-air signals produced this way, Bill :-).

From the demodulation viewpoint, not many sidebands of 22.7 Hz (=45.45/2) are needed to get a waveform that integrates in a matched filter to close to that of a full bandwidth FSK signal. The 9th harmonic of the keying signal, 204 Hz away, is almost 20 dB down and thus at very low FM modulation index (thus the component produced by the 9th order Bessel function is small).

From the bit clock extraction viewpoint, my experiments with cocoaModem indicates that you do not need more than the third harmonic to get excellent bit clocks. Anything more than the 7th is essentially wasted power, but the -17 dB signal can still QRM the heck out of the adjacent station.

Additionally, even with regular on-air FSK signals, your sound card/TNC/TU is already seeing narrow signals if you are using narrow IF filters for reception. I regularly copy RTTY with a cascade of two 250 Hz INRAD filters. Only occasionally, a 400 Hz/500 Hz cascade provides better copy than with the 250 Hz IF filters.

A 170 Hz shift signal requires at least 250 Hz of bandwidth for good linearity,
and 300 Hz is probably better.

I just checked, my AFSK transmit bandpass is a 128-tap FIR filter that is 510 Hz wide (it just includes 7th harmonic of the keying signal to each side of the mark and space). I will probably reduce it someday after I have time to experiment more, although 510 Hz is already very narrow compared to an unconstrained RTTY signal.

Even though generating a clean signal on the air can be very satisfying, being clean is not necessarily good strategy in a contest. Generating a narrow signal allows someone else to feel they can squeeze closer to you. The problem is that his signal may not be as clean and therefore he QRMs you even if you don't QRM him.

73
Chen, W7AY