[RTTY] Re: UKDX Contest & condx

To: <f6irf@free.fr>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: UKDX Contest & condx
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:19:34 +0100
Hi Patrick and the group........

I also agree with Pat's thoughts on the bands, and although there were
indeed plenty of CW signals about on 10m, there wasn't any sign of any RTTY
each time I listened.
As Pat says, it was mostly Es, and mostly confined to EU, but there were a
few W's about from time to time.
I did not listen up in the SSB section, as it is too far to tune!

I wonder if the problem of everyone being on 20m RTTY was down to the high
proportion of new calls noted in the contest? From the reported scores I
have seen on the 3830 reflector, a good number of the usual RTTY ops were
playing in the IARU contest, and a good number of these were the people that
can usually be found trying for the band-openings.

There is also the lat/long to take into consideration, as even in IARU I
could hear OE's and DL's working JA/VK/ZL that I just could not hear.
There was some good discussion about such things at the RTTY dinner in FHFN,
and it is quite surprising just how much a few degrees more or less
north/south or east/west can make, especially in northern EU.
One thing I did notice was the lack of any North/South path on 10m this
weekend. I can usually work a few PY/LU stations on RTTY, but I didn't hear
ANY in the IARU.

Thinking about it, I think the lack of serious participation in the UK-DX
contest was solely down to the IARU contest.

Anyway, let's hope things improve a little for SARTG!
73 for now
Phil GU0SUP