[RTTY] LID Operator Calling CQ

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] LID Operator Calling CQ
From: Richard Kriss <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 11:22:18 -0500
There seem to be two primary modes of operation for RTTY contests. Those
that call CQ and the those that answer CQs.  Yes, I am aware some do both.
Due to the lack of a good Macintosh OSX RTTY software package I happen to be
one of the operators that prefers to answer CQs.

During the VOLTA contest I noticed a station sending what seemed like an
endless stream of CQs that never seemed to really listen.  It was like he
staked that frequency and did not want anyone else to even think about
moving into 'his' spot in the band. At first I thought he may be listening
up but he never said anything. He was not making many QSOs because the dummy
never seemed to really listen.  He would stop transmitting and about the
time stations started calling he would start another endless CQ.

I am not posting the call sign but many like me that listen for CQs will
know the call sign I am talking about.  I do not think he was a jammer
because he use a call sign and did make some QSO.

Tip for the CQ people: Call CQ but really listen when you enter send K

Off the soapbox

Dick, AA5VU