Re: [RTTY] DXP38 vs Soundcard stuff

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DXP38 vs Soundcard stuff
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:21:31 -0800
On Mar 12, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:54:07 EST, K4FJ@aol.com wrote:

No sound card solution here and I doubt the sound card beats the
DXP38.

You doubt because you haven't run a side by side comparison.  Those who
have, don't.

My two kopecks:

When you are comparing or use any kind of a device that has a A/D converter at the input (e.g., Sound Card, DXP38, etc), it is critical that the audio levels are adjusted so as to match the range of the converter. Analog TUs and digital devices with an analog AGC stage (Timewave DSP599zx, for example) are less sensitive to poor level matching, but only to a certain point.

A DXP38 has a 14-bit A/D converter and a pretty dated TI DSP processor. It stands to engineering reason that a modern fast computer with a good 16-bit sound card wins as long as it knows how to make use of all that extra processor speed for some good.

You can buy good 20 bit USB converters for less than $40, and you can buy very good 24-bit A/D USB converters for less than $100. I have no idea if programs such as MMTTY on a Wintel system can make use of the extra bits, but modern OS'es use floating point audio paths and can make good use of the extra bits.

73
Chen, W7AY