[RTTY] ZL2BR Makrothen Contest

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] ZL2BR Makrothen Contest
From: "Frank Hunt" <ditdah@infogen.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:09:59 +1300
Tough conditions for me, average received signal was around S3-4
After first couple of hours, it looked as if 250-300 qso's would be
possible, how wrong I was, but, I am very happy with my efforts as
you can see below.

40              17              212,844
20              91              1,457,951
15              46              558,591

Claimed Score:  2,229,386
Average Distance per contact was 14,476

Gear: TS-2000 (100w), 3-el tribander, 40m GP

While number of active stations may have been low, for a brand
contest contest it was excellent. Worked more JA's than any other
country, followed by UA, W/VE then OH.

What do I think of the scoring system?  Just one word - Fantastic !

Although it would seem to favour stations such as mine in remote
parts of the world, I can assure everyone I had to work extremely
hard to get 154 contacts.  20-21 hours operating equals around 7.5
contacts an hour, for some hour periods I only got 2 contacts.

Yes, maybe the dates could be changed to avoid the ARRL SSB
and the Ukrainian sprint type RTTY contests, but would not like to
see the points system changed. As it is now, it's simple and very
fair to everyone. Band/Point multipliers for 80/40m would return the
"location advantage" (as it is in the vast majority of contests), to
Europe and probably W/VE.

A great date for this contest would be 1st weekend in July, yes I
know that's the date of new, last year, DL RTTY contest, which has
very boring rules similar to a lot of other RTTY contests. Maybe all
the the DL RTTY contesters could get together and consider
making the DL contest the DL Makrothen contest, with the
Makrothen points rules of course  :-)

Thanks everyone for the contacts and a big big thanks to
Waldemar for all the work and effort in organsing this contest - long
may it reign !

73,
Frank ZL2BR