Re: [RTTY] RTTY Capable Amp

To: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Capable Amp
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:55:39 -0800
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:29:17 -0400, Scott Nichols wrote:

>Are there other amps/tubes that better fit RTTY contesting ? I don't
>need a kilowatt, just 500-800 watts is plenty...

For that power level, anything with a single 3-500Z would be a good
choice.  The various Heathkit amps such as the SB-1000 (which I have)
are rated at 1kw output for SSB or CW, but should be held to about 600
watts for RTTY.  The tube and tank circuitry can take more, but the
power transformer will overheat at 1kw on RTTY.

Don't ask how I know.  :-)

--
Bill W6WRT