Re: [RTTY] Yaesu

To: "WA9ALS - John" <wa9als@starband.net>,"N6OJ" <n6oj@sbcglobal.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Yaesu
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:05:29 +0000
I studied that question quite a bit a couple of years ago before I bought a Quadra, and decided the Yaesu's 500 watt rating was for continuous "broadcast" RTTY, whereas the ICOM's KW rating was for the usual ham 50/50 duty cycle. As I recall, the transistors are the same, and the Yaesu's PS actually has a slightly higher power capacity rating. I concluded Yaesu=ICOM as far as PO on RTTY is concerned.

An aside: I also wondered why the amp's 6M rating was only 500 watts. Turns out that 500 W is the max legal power in JA-land, where these things were designed and built ! I think I remember seeing that the transistors have no such artificial power limit on 6. I don't operate 6, but would crank it up to full KW in the USA if I did. I would check for spurs first time, of course, but wouldn't expect to find any.

Jerry W4UK