[RTTY] RITTY by K6STI on a floppy disk

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] RITTY by K6STI on a floppy disk
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:01:16 -0700
Those of you who know me from the reflector know I am an huge fan of
RITTY by K6STI.  IMO, it is the best of all the soundcard programs for
digging out weak signals.

Today while fooling around with my second computer, I discovered an
amazing thing about it.  RITTY can be run entirely from a floppy disk,
without DOS even installed on the computer.  In fact, you don't even
need a hard drive in the computer at all.  This is great for those who
want to run RITTY as a second computer for monitoring in parallel with
your regular station computer.

Perhaps this is old hat to some of you, but it was news to me.

Here's how you do it:

1.  Make a bootable floppy disk.  If you have Windows, right-click on
the A drive and click FORMAT.  Check the box that says "Create an
MS-DOS Startup Disk".  Proceed with the format.
2.  From your RITTY directory, copy all the files to the floppy you
just formatted.  Do not create a \RITTY directory on the floppy, just
copy them  all to A:\
3.  Un-hide A:\AUTOEXEC.BAT so you can edit it.
4.  Replace what is there with the following:

@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T1
RITTY
CD\
CLS

This configuration starts RITTY automatically on boot up.  If you
would rather start RITTY manually, delete the line that has RITTY, or
put rem in front of it like this:  rem RITTY

5.  The H5 and T1 entries depends on your soundcard.  If you have an
old, original SoundBlaster 16, use T1.  Later versions may require a
different number (the T stands for TYPE).  Available options are from
T1 through T6.  Experiment.  If T1 doesn't work, try another or look
at the AUTOEXEC.BAT on your hard drive (not the one on the floppy) and
copy whatever it says on that line.  Also, some soundcards require H5
and others H6.  I have used both a CT-1740 and CT-1790 and they work
fine.  Others are questionable.

That's it!  If necessary, set your BIOS so that it looks for the
floppy drive ahead of the hard drive to boot from.  Put the disk in
the drive and reboot.  Presto!  RITTY runs without even accessing the
hard drive.

Caution:  I have only used this for receiving, so it may or may not
work for transmitting.

Let me know how it works for you.

--
Bill, W7TI