[RTTY] PSK and also MFSK!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PSK and also MFSK!
From: Phil.Cooper at cwgg.cwplc.com (Phil Cooper)
Date: Mon Mar 24 03:42:01 2003
Hi all,

I do agree with the comments made about using PSK, and I suspect that many
PSK'ers are not really digital hams at all, but a completely different
brigade.
You never see a good proportion of them on any other digital mode, except
maybe CW.
There are still many badly set-up signals out there, and too many still do
not know how to sort out AFC and NET either!

Over the weekend, I had been trying to work ST0RY on RTTY, and was trying my
best to get in on 15m yesterday morning (around 1100UTC Sunday 23rd) when a
?$&^(&^ing MFSK station started up right on his TX frequency.
Needless to say, I didn't make it, but I also note he went QRT soon
afterwards.
I then chased him on 20m later in the day (about 1700UTC) and finally
managed to put him in the log (YES!!!!!!!!!) but again, he was subject to a
lot of QRM from MFSK stations.

For my money, I would sooner try and get the MFSK stations to understand
that when they have 21.0785 on the dial, they often Tx up around 21.081,
which is usually where the RTTY DX operates!
On top of this, quite a few MFSK stations are now sending pictures as well
(you hear the MFSK tones, but it then changes to a noisy PSK-like signal)
which causes even more QRM.

Ah well, I was extremely happy at getting ST0RY, and hope to get them on 15m
before they leave!

73 all
de Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Cable and Wireless Guernsey.

Information held on any of Cable and Wireless Guernseys'
computer systems is the property of Cable and Wireless Guernsey.
Cable and Wireless Guernsey reserves the right to monitor
and review the content of all information, messages and
attachments sent to or from this e-mail address.