[RTTY] Thoughts for Dayton (contest forum)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Thoughts for Dayton (contest forum)
From: Phil.Cooper at cwgg.cwplc.com (Phil Cooper)
Date: Wed Feb 12 06:49:32 2003
Hi all,

Well, it looks as though Don AA5AU has the right idea for his web site, and
Shelby has suggested a "contesting forum", which are excellent ideas.
I have already sent Jay a few ideas myself.

One problem is that you could well end up preaching to the already
converted, although I don't know how many "newbies" are likely to attend.
Could be that you get enough to make it worthwhile.

I did a lecture at last years RSGB DX Convention about this very topic, but
half of the attendees were seasoned contesters! However, it was still
worthwhile, and I think most folk got something out of it.
There are a few basic things that, in my opinion, need to be covered:
1       Read the rules!
This one catches many folk out! Not adding (eg) /W6 when you are in that
district. Using the cluster when it is not permitted. Operating for 31 hours
instead of 30, and so on and so on.

2       Which class?
You might want to consider a single band entry, if that is allowed.

3       Think about the exchanges
And be prepared to change them mid-contest! If you have to ask for a repeat,
then the other guy may do too! I often switch between 2 lots of serial
number or 3, depending on conditions. Same goes for my callsign when I call
someone. (See below!)

4       Watch what is going on
If there is a big pile up on a bit of rare DX, don't bother joining the pile
in the first half of the contest! Wait till the second half when they are
likely to be calling CQ without too many replies! Also make sure you know
what the exchange is! I have received 001 001 in CQWW before now!
If you are S&P, and you are trying to work someone, watch the exchange. If
you watch 3 others work him, and then get through, you should be able to
work out what the serial number was. DO NOT ask for QSL ROUTE? when you have
just spent 40 minutes trying to work a bit of rare DX! Don't send a brag
file either. I've had all sorts sent to me, and asked of me. Some folk want
my WAB, IOTA, you name it!

5       Are you a mult for them?
This is worthy of consideration, as I know being a GU! If you are
much-wanted mult, then the other guy is quite likely to have a little more
patience with you!

6       When it is all over, submit your entry, even if you only make a few
QSO's!
Important to get used to submitting an entry, even if only as a check log!
It means others get to see, and possibly remember your callsign for next
time!

7       Know what the mults are
This can make a big difference to your score! If you are S&P, chase all the
mults you can find! A good example here are those contests that use
continents as another mult. How many times have you seen "I missed Africa"
in the emails after a contest? And yet, people I have spoken to have heard,
and not bothered to work, EC8AUZ or EA8/DJ1OJ. I even bagged EM1HO in one
contest last year! Antarctica is considered a continent for this purpose!

8       Read the rules!
Yes, keep a copy handy, and read them before, during and after the contest!

The above items are only a few basic suggestions, and assume you are talking
to a newcomer to RTTY contesting. I would also assume they will play mostly
S&P at the beginning, with short bursts of CQ.

Lastly, Don mentioned "bull" when considering the question of callsigns in
the exchange. There are times when it IS needed, or desired.
What is NOT good is when you see TU 599 001 001 QSL? and that is it! Who did
it come from?
I have often had such a reply when several call at once, and you go back to
one, but which one gave you that reply? It isn't always the one you called.
It will depend partly on your geographical location, and whether you are
operating from rare DX, or are - for example - just another W, or DL.

That's just my two Euros worth, although it is based on my experiences over
the last few years, plus stuff gleaned from such noteable folk as Eddie
W6/G0AZT, and from this reflector. I am sure all of you already know all
this, but you surely know SOMEONE who has started on RTTY?

73 all
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Cable and Wireless Guernsey.

Information held on any of Cable and Wireless Guernseys'
computer systems is the property of Cable and Wireless Guernsey.
Cable and Wireless Guernsey reserves the right to monitor
and review the content of all information, messages and
attachments sent to or from this e-mail address.