[RTTY] WPX WI0WA

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] WPX WI0WA
From: k4ww at arrl.net (Shelby Summerville)
Date: Sat Feb 8 08:30:36 2003
"Waldemar DK3VN" <dk3vn@nexgo.de> wrote: "Hmmm .. you are expecting, that I
should put out approx. 3 US-Dollars, just to exchange my QSL card with you?
"Give me your points, move away and do not bother me with your bureau card
afterwards". A real nice behavior!"

Waldemar and all. I doubt very seriously if that what was meant?
Reluctantly, I have stopped returning "direct" QSL requests, without SASE or
return postage. I make approximently 7-8K QSO's per year, 99% of them in
contest's. I receive approximently 30 pounds (150 cards per pound) each year
through the ARRL incoming bureau. Not a lot, compared to large contest
stations, however, 90% of those cards are unsolicited and unneeded!
Personally, I would prefer an email QSL request that I may return through
the bureau. Many contest stations "dump their entire contest log" into the
bureau, which, IMHO, is ridiculous? Most say "pse QSL", and I'm curious as
to just how many same band confirmations are considered enough? In 2001, I
started confirming any/all band/mode contacts on each QSL request I receive,
in hopes, that in time, the incoming requests will slow down? As much as I
enjoy contesting and making many contacts, I dread just as much the "flood"
of QSL requests that follow. Fortunately, I'm at a point that those that I
"need", I send direct. All are not in the same position, and I try to return
100% each QSL request I receive.
Discussions during a contest, must be an indicator of conditions and
participation? Thankfully, the call I'm using in WPX is a club call, and
someone else handles the QSLing.

C'Ya, Shelby

-----