[RTTY] About the RTTY World Rank List (RWRL)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] About the RTTY World Rank List (RWRL)
From: dk3vn at nexgo.de (Waldemar DK3VN)
Date: Sun Jan 26 11:53:02 2003
Hi,

following the discussion about the subject "SO2R" I found a few
interesting comments about the "RTTY World Ranking List (RWRL)".
To this one of the comments, I want to respond via the reflector.

Tyler Stewart wrote: ....

> Secondly I'd like to point out that the RTTY World ranking is based on
> participation in a large number of RTTY contests, many of which I consider
> insignificant.  It's quantity more than quality.  If you dont operate most
> of the contests, you wont even make the top half of the list, no matter how
> well you do.
>
> Ty K3MM

Each "World Rank List", which I know and I know a lot, each one
is based on the participation in a more or less large number of
competitions/contests! That's a standard and not a special idea
of me; the creator of the RWRL. Why all this contests are in the
RWRL and why other contests are not .. check out the RWRL @ Web.

Let say: A tennis player is the winner of some Grand Slam's
but is not very successfully in any other tournament or simply
do not participate in many significant or insignificant
tournaments. Do you believe you'll see this guy as #1 in the
"TENNIS World Rank List"?

In the "RTTY World Rank List (RWRL)" you will receive a lot of
RWRL-Points if you participate SUCCESSFULLY in many significant
AND insignificant contests. To be in the top 10, you must be
very successful in almost all contests! That's the nature and
the sense of a ranking system; always!

Something about "significant/insignificant" contests and their
weight in the RWRL.

If you are creating and running a World Rank List, then you have
to find an answer to the question: "Which competitions/contest
is a significant one and which one is an insignificant?".

In the RWRL I found the answer (for me :-) "The total number
of >>logs-sent-in<< is the weight factor for the signification
of a contest". On my Web Site you'll find more details about that.

BTW: The weight factor of the "CQ/RJ WW DX" in comparison to
the "Russian WW" is approx. six to one.

At the end my post you'll see a list of all contests, which are
counting for the RWRL, sorted by "Maximal Points" for the winner
of this contest in the SOAB category(ies). On the top of this list
you'll see the most significant contest (and the category) and
at the bottom the most insignificant one.

I am pretty sure, your personal list of "significant/insignificant"
contests will be very similar to mine for the RWRL. If you know
a better system, which is easy to understand, could be checked by
everyone and is WITHOUT ANY PERSONAL PREFERENCES; then let me know!

BTW: Your statement "It's quantity more than quality." is not very
fair and not very friendly ..  ~:(

Sorry about my English; but I hope you got my points?

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN

                      Max-Pts    Weight
CQ/RJ WW DX LP         171563       6,7
CQ/RJ WW DX HP         158250       6,2