[RTTY] Mmtty--Getting started

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Mmtty--Getting started
From: w5ec@bellsouth.net (Bill Hawkins)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:04:34 -0500
G'day all,
Thanks to all  who offered suggestions and to meet me on the air to listen
to my problem. To recap, I am just trying to get on RTTY using Mmtty and I
could get nobody to respond to my calls or CQs.

While making a call, I noticed that the mark freq changed when I went from
receive to transmit so I tried to set the transmit mark freq to my receive
mark freq which was about 600 Hz. After about 40 years on CW, my ear kinda
wants to listen to 600 Hz!
So, the transmit mark freq would not stay where I set it so I set the
receive mark freq to 2125 Hz , same as xmit mark freq. It stayed there
except wandered a bit while trying to AFC. Called a station and he came
right back. Must have something!

Now I have made several contacts including a couple of DX stns so I guess
that was my whole problem. I just don't like to have the mark freq set so
high as it is difficult fo locate a weak DX signal. I can hear it pretty
good and copy it but when I try to set it to 2125 Hz I lose it if other
stations are around. So my questions are:
1. Why is there a choice for the xmit mark freq if it doesn't do any good to
change?
2. Is there an easy to net onto the weak station at the higher freq?
3. Why can't the mark freq be 600 to 1000Hz?
4. Where is all this stuff explained? Is there no Mmtty manual?

Again, thanks to all who helped. There is a wealth of tech knowledge here.
You guys are great!
See you on the bands.
Bill W5EC
P.S. My wife says I can't hear anything anyway!