[RTTY] New "event" for our consideration

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] New "event" for our consideration
From: mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com (Mobile Workshop)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:38:59 +0100
Hi George, and the group...................

Oh yes, and HOW!
George, this was why I sent a few spots saying "auroral", and why I just
could not make it at first with K4WW.
Oddly, some of the W4's I saw (K4WW and W4UK) were VERY fluttery, and yet,
there was May WA1EHK, nice and easy to work, good signal, and no problem
copying me!

I did try and work Jerry W4UK on 40m in the early hours of the Sunday
morning, but he just wasn't hearing EU signals (sorry Jerry!)

It seemed to me that 20m was very badly affected, although there weren't
many signal about on 15 to make serious comparisons.

I did get Shelby in the log eventually, but those first hours of the contest
were very badly affected here. Imagine, K4WW sounding like a KL7! Maybe his
signal WAS going over the pole - it sure sounded just like that!

I gave up playing at around 2130UTC as it was just too difficult to make
contacts, and I went to bed. Got up early Sunday am, and things had improved
quite a bit.

As for 10m, well, those N/S paths were good, and ZX2B was almost always a
good audible signal here.

Not sure of the why/wherefore, but during the last hours of the contest,
ZL2AMI was good and strong here, right up to the end of the contest at 1pm
local time. That is NOT normal, and I would usually have expected to see
Bob's signal disappear by mid morning at the latest.
Bob, I was copying you on 20m until you went to 15. I worked you there, and
kept an eye on your sigs right up till 1200UTC, and you were a good 579
here. Same goes for Colin VK4UC, who also had 579 sigs.

George, you were an easy one, and had a good signal, but when I got you, you
were buried underneath two very strong East EU signals.

Also, I did note quite a few (big gun) stations with much lower serial
numbers than me, and I was beginning to think I may be in with a chance of
something good. However, take a look at some of the reported scores, and 183
Q's for 28.6m points ain't so good! One example is N2WK with 161 Q's for
36.5m points! Or how about DJ3IW with 187 Q's for 53.4m points!

Ah well, if only I could have heard UN6P on 10m for the extra bonus mult!
Sadly, I had no copy at all.

So, yes, that aurora made a big difference here, and even affected DL/SP/etc
stations here.

73 for now,
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms Ltd.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms Ltd. Guernsey
Telecoms Ltd reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.