[RTTY] Re CW Interface

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re CW Interface
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:58:17 -0000
Ian, here's something more to check for in your setup.    As WA9ALS wrote -

"Just send your serial port DTR through a 1K resistor to the base of a
2n2222
or 2n3904.  Ground the emitter, and send the collector to your key input.
Ground of serial port to emitter and on to key input ground. "

This is just how I've keyed CW amd done FSK/PTT on a 570DG and 850 under
WriteLog and other programs for more than two years.  You might check to see
if the transistor leads were accidentally reversed in construction.  The
info printed on the cardboard back of RS's NPN transistor bulk packaging
isn't always easy to decipher. Case and leads vary.   I found that I had to
experiment a bit to get the emitter and collector where they needed to be
for each circuit.

Dick Stevens' original notes point out that some experimenting may be needed
to get the polarity right.  Lightly tack-soldering the leads until you've
got a winning combination has become a habit after building up many of these
circuits.  Take time to get it right once, and it will work forever.

Plastic 35mm film containers make great (and free )  small housings for
joining cables and components.  Pass the cable ends through a hole cut in
the cap. A five lug terminal strip with one lug removed fits right in and
gives a solid anchor point for a transistor, resistor, and diodes if used.
Repairs or any needed polarity switching are very easy.

73,         Jon    K1US