[RTTY] keyed AFSK? - was: Best RTTY rig?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] keyed AFSK? - was: Best RTTY rig?
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:08:49 -0500

Yaesu
> > rigs is subject to the mic gain control.
> >

> This is NOT true for the FT1000MP! The MIC gain has no influence on the
signal
> when using the RTTY button and FSK input through the RTTY connector.
>
> 73 de Goetz

Hi Goetz - Apparently I'll eat my hat on this one, but - It -does- still use
an internal AFSK generator when using "FSK" (the RTTY input connector).

I traded my MARK-V toward a PROII and PW-1, and my memory failed me on the
specifics of the mic control.  A couple of us were making discoveries one
day awhile back and were somewhat surprised to learn that the MIC control
affected the ALC when transmitting an AFSK signal applied to the PACKET
input connector.  That makes sense, however, since it's in the audio chain.
I guess we were just used to thinking of this connector as a FIXED [output]
audio connector and were a little surprised to see that the MIC control
would affect the ALC.

Since I knew (and it's stated in the manual) that the MP does "FSK" by using
an internal audio generator, I INcorrectly thought I remembered that the MIC
control affected the RTTY FSK input, but that's apparently wrong, as
confirmed by a couple of guys this evening.

Sorry for the confusion, but again, there's no doubt that the 1000MP radios
use an internal audio AFSK generator to make tones from the digital signals
applied to the RTTY "FSK" connector.  It doesn't really mattter for the
1000MP - It does "FSK" very nicely - allows use of narrow filters, removes
the variable of operators using incorrectly adjusted souncard audio output
etc etc.  73

P.S.  I am comforted that a technically expert guy I know in 6-land also had
the same memory problem...

;-))