[RTTY] Re: P38 card

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: P38 card
From: ghenry@halcomm.com (Bill Henry)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:53:24 -0600
In regard to the discussion about the HAL P-38 and PCI-4000 modems, I feel
that I need to clarify a couple of things.

First, the P-38 modem is NOT necessarily discontinued.  Because the "new
wave" in PC's is to delete the ISA plug-in slot (as well as PCI plug-in
capability), it is quite probable that plug-in card compatible PC hardware
will soon not be available.  Also, the latest versions of Windows do not
support direct communications with ISA I/O plug-in cards.  For these
reasons, HAL does not recommend choice of the P-38 or the PCI-4000 modems
for use in new system design.  We strongly recommend that new designs and
installations use the DXP-38, DSP-4100, or DSP-4100/2K modems.  These
modems are all in a stand-alone cabinet and interface to the PC via a
standard RS-232 serial I/O port.

However, if you already have a radio data communications system that is
designed to be used with the P-38 or the PCI-4000, we will be very pleased
to tool-up and make a special run for you.  We require a 50 piece order and
90 days to make these special runs.  We have done this for several
commercial customers.  In regard to the P-38, we have inventory of this
product on the shelf and of course the P-38 modem is for sale.

The use of sound cards and sound card RTTY software really has nothing to
do with this.

Please note that the latest software update for the DXP-38 now supports use
of a sound card as well - for the waterfall spectrum tuning indicator for
all modes (RTTY, CLOVER, Pactor, and AMTOR) and for PSK-31.  As before,
this update is free, available from the HAL web site (www.halcomm.com).

Bill Henry, K9GWT
President