[RTTY] Strange signal on 15m this morning

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Strange signal on 15m this morning
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:29:26 -0000
Hi all,

Meant to do this earlier, but forgot!

I was monitoring 15m this morning around 0930 - 1100UTC, and there were some
very odd sounding signals on this band, around 21078 - 21080, depending on
USB/LSB - FSK/AFSK.
They sounded like fast RTTY (possibly 75 - 100 Baud), but seemed to have a
shift of about 150Hz.
At first, I thought it was 23Hz RTTY with bad spurs, but the tones were
quite seperate, and I used Gram to check them out, and this looked even
stranger. It also had a similar sounding tone to 23Hz RTTY, but did sound
rougher.

The higher tone produced almost a solid line, quite narrow, but the lower
tone was very fuzzy, and occupied a wider bandwidth.

Anyone got any ideas?? Is it ALE, which I have not yet heard?

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP