[RTTY] W!ZT ARRL RTTY Roundup SOABHP

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] W!ZT ARRL RTTY Roundup SOABHP
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 19:09:32 -0800
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:16:19 -0500, George Johnson wrote:

>2. As much as I like Auto Tune AFSK, it is still a problem in S&P when I
>call a station and get a response.  And then have my Tx freq jerked at
>the last minute before I send my exchange.  I have to wait until that
>intended station transmits again (very sorry about that) to re-lock on
>the correct frequency.

Interesting observation.  For anyone curious, here's what I do:

1.  When calling CQ, I have autotune on, but only on receive.  I always
call using split VFOs, receiving on A and transmitting on B.  That way,
I can use the main dial for approximate receive tuning (instead of RIT)
and the autotune takes care of the last little bit.

2.  When I S&P, I also have autotune on, RX only, and once I call the
guy, I never retune, even if I discover I'm off a little.  I think it
just confuses him if I do.  In other words, once I've called him, I
don't change the xmit frequency at all.

Sometimes when calling CQ, someone will come back to me way off (200 Hz
or more) and then try to correct it on subsequent transmissions.  I
think it's better to not correct.  If I receive you well enough to
answer you, stay where you are.

I know the OTs like George have this all figured out, but the new guys
might need a tad bit of help.

Make sense?

73, Bill W7TI