[RTTY] geez

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] geez
From: wb8yjf@earthlink.net (Jon Severt)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:07:25 -0500
C'mon guys, are you all so bored as to discuss TUNING techniques? This is
SUPPOSED to be fun. If ya gotta spend hour after hour being sure all the
VFO's are automatically tracking & the rigs can work band to band instantly
(although I gotta admit the technology is really COOL! :)  ) what the heck
is the purpose? Remember one thing...this is AMATEUR radio.  I have a few
plaques hanging up here (and BTW, I really appreciate the donor for it! I'm
gonna look into sponsoring one myself for the next RTTY roundup or CQWW),
but what I see when I look at them is what FUN I had that particular
weekend. Don (AA5AU) will always kick my butt (tho we are in the same
category) If I remember correctly, he is using a couple of seperate
transcievers, I'm using 1 (I am TAXED to death!)), but I ain't gonna
complain. He works hard at the effort & deserves it. I just use these
contests to "kick back" & "geek out". My girlfriend thinks I'm NUTS, but she
can see how much FUN I have doing it & just watches me & shakes her head! I
average 12-16 hours a day at my self employed job. I need a release. This is
a GREAT one! I really am starting to miss the "old days" when we used model
15's and hand logs. Seemed like a lot more FUN then. Oh well... at 41 (ham
since 1976) I'm getting be a freakin dinosaur. Man O man...

I sit on the sidelines all the time & read the mail... My station is by all
standards, modest...But I LOVE it!

I'll see all of you guys in a pileup (if I need it, or I am looking for a
"charge" of working some kinda rare DX)!

BTW, please look for me as FO0SEV from 3 Dec till 13 or 14 Dec. from
Australs Island. K8PYD (FO0FRY) We are emphasising RTTY on this trip. Seems
no-one has for a while. So if you need it, we'll be there!

Thanks for letting me vent, guys. Been a long year..
73/DX!

Jon, WB8YJF