[RTTY] RTTY Tutorial

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Tutorial
From: k4ww@home.com (Shelby Summerville)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:20:30 -0400
TO: Y'all

I haven't seen any other comments recently regarding the number of "new"
stations (stations never worked before) that have been participating in RTTY
contests, but my personal experience has been about 10%. With more free RTTY
software becoming available, I can only hope that this percentage will
continue to rise? I believe it would be an advantage to, not only the
"newcomers", but all concerned, if there was a "place" where one could visit
and learn some of the, "not so secret", secrets of the veteran RTTY
contesters? Bob, NT1V has agreed to put such a "tutorial" at
http://www.rttyinfo.net/! There are already several good articles there. I
have agreed to solicit and summarize any and all hints, tips, etc., whatever
you think will be of value to the "newcomer". Please send these to me
"PRIVATELY", so as not to flood the reflector with possible "dupe" comments!
I'm sure that we all use some of the same, but when "summarized" and posted
they would make for easier reading and understanding? I well remember just 4
short years ago when I was first exposed to RTTY contesting. At that time my
computer knowledge fit nicely on the "point of a pin", and it hasn't
improved much! Not knowing any better, I posted an "attachment" to the
reflector containing my summary. I was "chastised" thoroughly and only one
person, N1RCT, sent me an email explaining how to "copy and paste" the
summary! As a group, we need to be careful with our "expectations" that all
are as equally experienced RTTY contesters? Thanks.
C'Ya, Shelby