[RTTY] Just.........

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Just.........
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 19:33:12 -0000
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:42:08 +1200, Frank Hunt wrote:
>
> >There seem to be a lot of 'small' rtty contests, too many?

WAY, too many. If you look at the RTTY contest calendar
(wherever it is kept these days, since N1RCT closed his site),
you'll see there's a RTTY contest almost every weekend. Most of
them, have pretty poor activity, and it surprises me that they
continue. I suppose the sponsors just want to run a contest.

IMHO, so many contests dilutes the activity from the big ones. For
most of us, there is a limit to how many weekends can be devoted
to contesting. Also, with the limited bandwidth we have, there is a
problem when a (non-contest) DXpedition is on the air. Finding
space to operate RTTY (hard enough to get them to do at times)
without colliding with contest activity has been a problem.

 If the
> >IARU WW contest included rtty, the potential is there for it to
> >become a real 'biggy' for rtty lovers. Any comments anyone?

Possible, but doubt it. In general, band condx are pretty poor this
time of year. Also, for those of us who live in climates with 4
seasons, radio activity tends to diminish this time of year.

73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com