Propagation

[Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2022 De

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2022 Dec 23 16:20 UTC
From: nw7us@sunspotwatch.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:20:40 +0000
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

The following is the weekly propagation bulletin from W1AW / ARRL (posting on 20221223 16:20 UTC):

QST de W1AW Propagation Forecast Bulletin 51 ARLP051 >From Tad Cook, K7RA Seattle, WA December 23, 2022 To all radio amateurs

SB PROP ARL ARLP051 ARLP051 Propagation de K7RA

I am writing this first draft of my penultimate bulletin of 2022, about seven hours after the start of Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, which was on Wednesday, December 21, 2022 at 2147 UTC. It is very cold in Seattle, about 17 degrees F on the longest night of the year.

Solar activity was down a bit from the previous week, although it was one of those odd occasions when average daily sunspot numbers and solar flux changed in opposite directions.

Average daily sunspot number declined from 136.9 to 124.1, while solar flux rose from 150 to 153.8.

Two new sunspot groups emerged on December 17, one more on December 19, another on December 21, and two more on December 22.

Geomagnetic indicators were a bit lower, with average planetary A index changing from 7.7 to 6.7, and middle latitude numbers from 6 to 5.1.

Due to missing data, I had to fudge one of the numbers, the December 16 middle latitude A index which I pegged at 7 by eyeballing trends.

Predicted solar flux appears to reach a short term peak of 160 on January 4-7, 2023, which may repeat on the last day of January and the first few days in February.

The forecast shows 130 on December 23-25, 135 on December 26â??30, 138 on December 31, then 140, 150 and 155 on January 1-3, 2023, 160 on January 4-7, then 158, 156, 154, 154 and 152 on January 8-12, 150 on January 13-15, then 145, 130 and 120 on January 16-18, 118 on January 19-20, then 120, 125 and 127 on January 21-23, 130 on January 24-25, then 135, 138, 140, 150 and 155 on January 26, and 160 on January 31 through the first few days of February.

Predicted planetary A index is 8, 5 and 8 on December 23-25, 5 on December 26-29, 10 and 12 on December 30-31, then 8, 5 and 18 on January 1-3, 2023, 10 on January 4-5, then 8, 10 and 6 on January 6-8, 5 on January 9-14, then 12, 10 and 20 on January 15-17, then 12, 8, 5 and 18 on January 18-21, and 20 on January 22-24, then 12, 10, 12, 8 and 5 on January 25-29.

OK1HH writes:

'Over the past seven days, we observed up to seven sunspot groups on the solar disk, three in succession had sizes and configurations suggesting the possibility of an M-class flare.

'AR3165 fell behind the western limb on December 17, while we observed AR3169 the same day. The largest AR3163 went over the limb on December 22. Solar activity, both total and flare activity, slowly decreased.

'A shock wave (probably the CME released by sunspot AR3165 last week) hit Earth's magnetic field late on December 18, but a geomagnetic storm did not develop, only a slight increase in geomagnetic activity. This was repeated on December 21 and especially the next day, when it was a recurrent disturbance, repeated after about 27 days.

'Solar activity is likely to remain low until Christmas. The situation may change next week, when one or more active sunspot groups will appear on the eastern limb of the solar disk.

'Shortwave propagation was mostly above average with slightly elevated MUF values. Diurnal variations were erratic. This pattern will continue.'

Jon, N0JK wrote:

'A strong sporadic-E opening on 50 MHz from Kansas to the Gulf Coast Sunday December 18.

'I logged K3FM EM50, WA3GWK EM60, W5THT EM50, and N4UPX EM50 on 50.313 MHz FT8 around 1600 UTC with strong signals. My station was 100 watts and an attic dipole.'

More big solar flare news:

https://bit.ly/3YHi5Wf

https://bit.ly/3PKXts4

https://bit.ly/3HXk1DW

https://bit.ly/3FPgipw

Found this interesting resource in the ARRL Letter:

https://haarp.gi.alaska.edu/diagnostic-suite

>From Dr. Tony Phillips on cycles:

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/12/

On Thursday using remotehamradio.com I made a 10 meter contact with Ralph, VE3LOE. He sent me an email, which I have edited:

'About 2 years ago I was in touch with Scott McIntosh at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO, who made a minority-opinion propagation forecast for Solar Cycle 25 which suggests much higher solar activity than what his colleagues predict. See 'Overlapping Magnetic Activity Cycles and the Sunspot Number: Forecasting Sunspot Cycle 25 Amplitude' (text dated October 2020).

'The latest installment, entitled 'Deciphering Solar Magnetic Activity: The (Solar) Hale Cycle Terminator of 2021,' which is at:

'https://arxiv.org/a/mcintosh_s_1.html

'I scanned this latter paper just now. Although I am a retired engineer from the telecom sector with a PhD in statistical traffic analysis of pre-Internet data networks, and understand the statistical math used in these papers, I am not a propagation expert. However, in the last publication, Figure 10 predicts a mean SSN just under 200, higher than other expert predictions. This present cycle has been interesting in its statistical variability.

'I am primarily a 10m enthusiast and use this band on a daily basis, generally in the 1300-1700 UTC timeframe when the EU openings take place. For some of my other ham interests and operating conditions you can visit my QRZ.com page.'

K7RA notes - download this pdf:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2209.10577.pdf

A new report from Dr. Tamitha Skov, WX6SWW:

https://youtu.be/pU6i_2FVR2g

Send your tips, reports, observations, questions, and comments to k7ra@arrl.net.

For more information concerning shortwave radio propagation, see http://www.arrl.org/propagation and the ARRL Technical Information Service at http://arrl.org/propagation-of-rf-signals . For an explanation of numbers used in this bulletin, see http://arrl.org/the-sun-the-earth-the-ionosphere .

An archive of past propagation bulletins is at http://arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive-propagation . More good information and tutorials on propagation are at http://k9la.us/ .

Instructions for starting or ending email distribution of ARRL bulletins are at http://arrl.org/bulletins .

Sunspot numbers for December 15 through 21, 2022 were 140, 108, 139, 128, 132, 119, and 103, with a mean of 124.1. 10.7 cm flux was 165.9, 163.1, 154.6, 155,6, 152.4, 146.4, and 138.7, with a mean of 153.8. Estimated planetary A indices were 5, 9, 3, 4, 11, 6, and 9, with a mean of 6.7. Middle latitude A index was 4, 7, 2, 2, 9, 5, and 7, with a mean of 5.1.

https://groups.io/g/propagation-and-space-weather

Spread the word!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Links of interest:

+ Amazon space weather books: http://g.nw7us.us/fbssw-aSWSC
+ https://Twitter.com/NW7US
+ https://Twitter.com/hfradiospacewx

Space Weather and Ham Radio YouTube Channel News:

I am working on launching a YouTube channel overhaul, that includes series of videos about space weather, radio signal propagation, and more.

Additionally, I am working on improving the educational efforts via the email, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, and other activities.

You can help!

Please consider becoming a Patron of these space weather and radio communications services, beginning with the YouTube channel:

https://www.patreon.com/NW7US

The YouTube channel:
https://YouTube.com/NW7US

..

The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2022 Dec 23 16:20 UTC