Propagation

[Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Au

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Aug 28 00:38 UTC
From: nw7us@sunspotwatch.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 00:38:12 +0000
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

The following is the weekly propagation bulletin from W1AW / ARRL (posting on 20210828 00:38 UTC):

QST de W1AW Propagation Forecast Bulletin 35 ARLP035 >From Tad Cook, K7RA Seattle, WA August 27, 2021 To all radio amateurs

SB PROP ARL ARLP035 ARLP035 Propagation de K7RA

Sun watchers saw no days without sunspots this week. Average daily sunspot numbers rose from 17.7 last week to 21.7 this reporting week, August 19 through 25.

Average daily solar flux increased from 73.8 to 78.5.

Geomagnetic indicators were quiet, with average daily planetary A index declining from 6.1 to 4.7, and average daily middle latitude A index dropping from 7.6 to 5.7.

We are less than one month away from the Northern Hemisphere autumnal equinox, on Wednesday, September 22, 2021. Both hemispheres will be bathed in equal measures of solar radiation, always a positive for HF propagation.

Predicted solar flux is 90 on August 27 to September 2, 85 on September 3, 73 on September 4 to 11, 74 on September 12 to 15, 76 on September 16 to 18, 77 on September 19 and 20, 76 on September 21, 75 on September 22 to 29 and 73 on September 30 through October 8.

Predicted planetary A index is 16, 12, 10 and 8 on August 27 to 30, 5 on August 31 through September 1, 8 and 12 on September 2 and 3, 5 on September 4 to 10, then 10 and 8 on September 11 and 12, 5 on September 13 to 18, 8 on September 19 and 20, 15 and 10 on September 21 and 22, 7 on September 23 and 24, 5 on September 25 to 28, then 8 and 12 on September 29 and 30 and 5 through the first week in October.

I find it encouraging that the above solar flux forecast from USAF and NOAA was revised upward over the past few days, and that the sunspot number (47) on Thursday, August 26 was much higher than the average daily sunspot number (21.7) over the previous seven days.

Geomagnetic activity forecast for the period August 27 til September 21, 2021 from F. K. Janda, OK1HH.

'Geomagnetic field will be Quiet on September 1, 5, 10, 14 to 18 Quiet to unsettled August 28, 31, September 2 to 4, 6 to 9, 19 and 20 Quiet to active on August 29 and 30, September 11 to 13, 21 Unsettled to active August (27) Active to disturbed, Nothing predicted

Remarks: - Parenthesis means lower probability of activity enhancement.'

At 0839 UTC on August 26 the Australian Space Forecast Centre issued a geomagnetic warning. 'A weak slow moving CME associated with a disappearing solar filament on 23 August may have a glancing impact at Earth late on the UT day of the 26th or into 27th August. Mildly elevated geomagnetic activity may occur following the impact. Another weak slow moving CME observed occurring towards the middle of the UT day on 24 August appears to be primarily eastward, although there is a chance it may also have a glancing impact at Earth during the 27th August, potentially resulting in mildly elevated geomagnetic activity.'

Darrell Emerson, AA7FV wrote:

'I have a question about a possible 17m propagation anomaly between my location (AA7FV in Tucson AZ, DM42pg, 32.3N 110.7 W) and the NCDXF beacon W6WX (CM97ae). According to QRZ.com, W6WX is at a bearing of 301 degrees, and a distance of 1158 km from AA7FV. Sunset at W6WX is 02:49 UTC, and sunset at AA7FV is 01:58 UTC.

I have been using the program 'Faros' to look at the propagation times from various NCDXF beacons. As I'm sure you know, the NCDXF beacons are time synchronized using GPS, and so by looking at the arrival times of transmissions from a given beacon, it is easily possible to distinguish between short path and long path propagation. This is what the program Faros does.

As a check, here is data taken at the same time with the same setup on the beacon ZL6B, which shows no anomaly. You can see that I was receiving the beacon from about 0h UTC until about 04:30 UTC. The propagation delays (blue dots) line up precisely with the delay (about 39 ms) expected for short path propagation, which is marked by the horizontal dashed line labeled 'SP'. No surprise here. The expected long path delay would be nearly 100 ms, but there are no signals observed with that delay, during this time period.'

Darrell sent graphics which I am unable to reproduce in this bulletin, but you could email him via his address on QRZ.com if you want copies.

I referred his quesion to Carl, K9LA, who responded:

'Thanks for those interesting plots from Faros.

ZL6B sunrise is around 1906 UTC, so I would have expected that you'd see him again later in the day (a bit after 1906 UTC). But perhaps the MUF wasn't high enough at that time. Or something else was going on. Dropping out around 0430 UTC is understandable, as your sunet is around 0200 UTC and the MUF was slowly dropping until ZL6B (still in daylight) went away around 0430 UTC.

As for the W6WX results, being only 1158 km from you says a relatively high elevation angle would be required on the true great circle path. And that says the MUF over that path would not likely be high enough for normal refraction at a high elevation angle on 18 MHz (since we're just starting to come out of solar minimum). So your comment about an unusual ionized cloud (or an enhanced area in the ionosphere) is a possible explanation.

The 20 msec or so delay suggests an off-great circle path from an enhanced area of ionization. And my guess is that this area was south of you and W6WX as that puts it closer to the equatorial ionosphere, where more interesting short-term events happen than north of your location. It's too bad that the azimuth arrival angle isn't measured.'

If you're interested in some more Faros results, check out https://k9la.us/Aug17_Long_Path-Short_Path_Switching_on_15-Meters_Part_1.pdf and https://k9la.us/Sep17_Long_Path-Short_Path_Switching_on_15-Meters_Part_2.pdf

By the way, Carl says he accidentally deleted an email from someone named Edgar in Toronto who had questions about VOACAP, and now he has no way to respond. If you are Edgar, please contact K9LA.

Ken Brown, N4SO (EM50tk) in Alabama reported hearing the XE1FAS/B beacon on 28.171 MHz at 0542 UTC (12:42 AM local time) on August 26. 'Just above the noise and then faded out.' The path distance was 1,001 miles.

Reader K6HPX has some fascinating antenna photos on his QRZ.com profile. Check it out.

The latest from Dr. Tamitha Skov, WX6SWW:

https://youtu.be/jJgxa0SMojE

You can always find her new videos here:

https://www.spaceweatherwoman.com/forecasts/

For more information concerning shortwave radio propagation, see http://www.arrl.org/propagation and the ARRL Technical Information Service at http://arrl.org/propagation-of-rf-signals. For an explanation of numbers used in this bulletin, see http://arrl.org/the-sun-the-earth-the-ionosphere.

An archive of past propagation bulletins is at http://arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive-propagation. More good information and tutorials on propagation are at http://k9la.us/.

Instructions for starting or ending email distribution of ARRL bulletins are at http://arrl.org/bulletins .

Sunspot numbers for August 19 through 25, 2021 were 25, 14, 25, 16, 14, 29, and 29, with a mean of 21.7. 10.7 cm flux was 74.9, 77.7, 77.1, 77.1, 78.1, 80.9, and 83.6, with a mean of 78.5. Estimated planetary A indices were 4, 5, 3, 3, 4, 5, and 9, with a mean of 4.7 Middle latitude A index was 5, 6, 4, 4, 8, 5, and 8, with a mean of 5.7.

https://groups.io/g/propagation-and-space-weather

Spread the word!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Links of interest:

+ Amazon space weather books: http://g.nw7us.us/fbssw-aSWSC
+ https://Twitter.com/NW7US
+ https://Twitter.com/hfradiospacewx

Space Weather and Ham Radio YouTube Channel News:

I am working on launching a YouTube channel overhaul, that includes series of videos about space weather, radio signal propagation, and more.

Additionally, I am working on improving the educational efforts via the email, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, and other activities.

You can help!

Please consider becoming a Patron of these space weather and radio communications services, beginning with the YouTube channel:

https://www.patreon.com/NW7US

The YouTube channel:
https://YouTube.com/NW7US

..

The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Aug 28 00:38 UTC