Propagation

[Propagation+Space Weather] Thirty Minutes of Dazzle: Video -- Our Sun i

Subject: [Propagation+Space Weather] Thirty Minutes of Dazzle: Video -- Our Sun in 30 Minutes:
From: "Tomas, NW7US" <nw7us@sunspotwatch.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:27:43 -0500
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

Take a front-seat view of the Sun in this 30-minute ultra-high definition movie in which NASA SDO gives us a stunning look at our nearest star:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq4PlyNkm2Y

This movie provides a 30-minute window to the Sun as seen by NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which measures the irradiance of the Sun that produces the ionosphere. SDO also measures the sources of that radiation and how they evolve.

SDO’s Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) captures a shot of the sun every 12 seconds in 10 different wavelengths. The images shown here are based on a wavelength of 171 angstroms, which is in the extreme ultraviolet range and shows solar material at around 600,000 Kelvin (about 1 million degrees F.) In this wavelength it is easy to see the sun’s 25-day rotation.

The distance between the SDO spacecraft and the sun varies over time. The image is, however, remarkably consistent and stable despite the fact that SDO orbits Earth at 6,876 mph and the Earth orbits the sun at 67,062 miles per hour.

Scientists study these images to better understand the complex electromagnetic system causing the constant movement on the sun, which can ultimately have an effect closer to Earth, too: Flares and another type of solar explosion called coronal mass ejections can sometimes disrupt technology in space. Moreover, studying our closest star is one way of learning about other stars in the galaxy. NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. built, operates, and manages the SDO spacecraft for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington, D.C.

Charged particles are created in our atmosphere by the intense X-rays produced by a solar flare. The solar wind, a continuous stream of plasma (charged particles), leaves the Sun and fills the solar system with charged particles and magnetic field. There are times when the Sun also releases billions of tons of plasma in what are called coronal mass ejections. When these enormous clouds of material or bright flashes of X-rays hit the Earth they change the upper atmosphere. It is changes like these that make space weather interesting.

Sit back and enjoy this half-hour 4k video of our Star. Watch the video by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq4PlyNkm2Y -- please share, too!

For current space weather and related content, visit http://SunSpaceWeather.com

73 de NW7US

--
-= Keep up with current space weather: http://sunspotwatch.com/ =-

Tomas David Hood (Amateur Radio, NW7US)  --  Home page: http://NW7US.us/

Contributing editor, propagation and space weather columns in
  "CQ Amateur Radio Magazine", and in
     "The Spectrum Monitor" ( http://www.thespectrummonitor.com/ )

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
YouTube:   https://YouTube.com/NW7US