Propagation

[Propagation] Re: [PropNET-Online] NW7US Propagation Update: CQ WWSSB: 3

To: PropNET-Online@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Propagation] Re: [PropNET-Online] NW7US Propagation Update: CQ WWSSB: 30-X-2004
From: "NW7US, Tomas" <nw7us@hfradio.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:23:30 -0700
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:00:42 -0400, Thomas Giella KN4LF <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Just as I predicted propagation conditions have worsened.

As I recollect, you did predict that the geomagnetic conditions would cause "some" degradation on HF/MF higher latitude paths this weekend:

It appears that we will see "some" HF/MF higher latitude
propagation path degradation during the CQ WW DX SSB Contest
over the weekend. The culprit will be increasing geomagnetic
indices due to a geoeffective (Earth facing) recurrentcoronal hole and also due to the arrival of a semi halocoronal mass ejection.
Our HF/MF bands have seen some outstanding propagation conditionsduring the past week. Conditions on 160 meters have been the best
in many years. Unfortunately though the largest negative impactwill be seen on 160 meters.
73,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF

What none of us quite expected, at least as far as what I've seen published on these reflectors, was the increased flaring activity and the magnitude of the flares. SIDC was even surprised, since the complex beta-gamma structure is a new development that was not anticipated.

An exciting weekend so far, though, all told. No one expected 160 meters to be a major player this year. But, we have hoped for 20, 15, and 10 meters to play better this year than last. So far, it appears that things might fare well. There are good runs being had even on 10 meters, from what I am watching on both the DX clusters, as well as direct reports via e-mail.

Good luck on the bands!

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, and Popular Communications :
: Creator of live propagation center - http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Member, US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) AAR0JA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA - CN87 - CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website, software, database design - http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: Washington State Army MARS, State Army MARS Director - AAA0WA :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57,  AR Lighthouse Society 144 :