Orion

[Orion] Resolving the low AUX audio output issue with firmware5.059d

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Resolving the low AUX audio output issue with firmware5.059d
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:23:50 -0700
It is somewhat interesting how certain aspects of the Orion's behavior
can change with different firmware versions. Well I 'm not getting into
the pros and cons of each variation, instead I am going to make a
suggestion in passing of what I did to minimize certain variables in the
future.

Problem Encountered:

I upgraded my shack computers to better M-Audio 2496 sound cards. These
are very close cousins to the highly sought after Delta-44 series.
Anyway, the new sound cards came and then I hit a wall. The fixed audio
out of my Orion under version 2.059d was significantly less than what
these higher quality sound cards required. Ouch.

Answer:

I obtained a small 'stick-on- headphone amplifier module from Radio
Design Labs. The model I bought was the ST-SH1 (a new old stock item,
currently replaced by the ST-SH2). This little black module, about the
size of a business card and maybe 3/4" thick, has miniature screw
terminals for balanced or unbalanced stereo audio in, 24 vdc, and left
and right unbalanced audio out (high or low impedance). It also has
independent level controls for each channel. Depending on how you
interconnect (the one page instruction sheet is more than sufficient)
you can even configure so that it provides ground isolation as well.
This means you wouldn't need an additional transformer between it and
your soundcard.  I ran the fixed AUX audio from the back of my Orion to
both inputs on the ST-SH1, and then one output to my M-Audio sound card
and the second output to my station's Mackie mixer panel. The separate
audio level adjusts allowed me to get the exact fixed level I wanted for
each application.

I don't know what these modules go for new but I obtained mine for less
than $30 shipped. It was new old stock.

Now, I really don't care what the next firmware version does to the AUX
output.... I'm ready!

73,
Jerry, KG6TT

--