Orion

Re: [Orion] QSK with Amp

To: gtuck@mac.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] QSK with Amp
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:04:23 -0600
Gary,
        I think it's the QSK delay parameter that causes the Orion to not
signal the Centaur to key until the delay has passed.  So, it keys and
stays keyed sort of like the old "slow QSK" on some rigs.  Of course,
since the relay is not chattering away, you're not really doing full QSK
unless you're using a seperate RX antenna.  I may not have this exactly
right, but my experience is identical to yours.  (When you key the 805s
from the Amp's line, then you have QSK by default, assuming the rig can
do QSK, because you are switching the amp and using it to key the rig.)

        73,  Duane

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:27:59 -0800 Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com> writes:
> Use my Orion with a Centaur.  Just have the menu QSK delay set to
> 5-10% and leave the EXT T/R delay settings at the default 20%.  I
> use
> Keying  Loop 1 with cables between the Key in (Centaur) and TX out
>
> (Orion) and between Key out and TX en.
>
> Last week I had an Omni VI+ and connected it to the Centaur the same
>
> as above.  The Centaur relay seemed to be much more active and I
> felt
> that I could hear the band better while transmitting.  This week I
>
> connected my back up rig, a TS 850S, to the Centaur by connecting my
>
> external keyer to Key In on the Centaur and then connecting a cable
>
> from Key Out to the key jack of the TS 850s.  The combo transmitted
>
> QSK FB and again, the Centaur relay was very active and I could hear
>
> well.
>
> So, why is the Orion different?  I read the manual carefully and
> came
> away more confused.  I've always thought that the EXT T/R Delay
> settings only pertained to keying using the Amp Key jacks and were
>
> irrelevant when keying QSK with the Keying Loop circuit. But the
> manual speaks of some interaction between the QSK delay setting and
>
> the EXT T/R delay.
>
> So, my question is how do others have their Orion/TT amps configured
>
> and what settings do you use?
>
> tnx,  Gary W7TEA

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas