Orion

Re: [Orion] 1.372

To: <k2xx@swva.net>, "'Barry Gross'" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] 1.372
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:29:53 -0600
Why use the NR at all.  Especially in a contest?  Seems to me that that much
DSP is detrimental to the overall performance in a tight packed band.

Next time, try running it with the rf gain turned back to about 70 and leave
the NR off.  I find that the DSP doesn't work fast recover fast enough to
allow for the changes in signal strength as one either tunes or listens for
calls.

Since the CQWW is mostly a S&P contest for us US stations, it's easier,
IMHO, to control the signal levels with the volume and AGC.

BTW, I wonder if any of you mess with the AGC settings for contesting.  I
find that the factory default MID and Fast are just about right for most
situations.

I also find that turning the rf gain down when narrowing the filters to less
than 350hz is also helpful in pulling out the weaker "tweeners" that one
hears way down in the mud or that get spotted outside your strong signal
zones.  Anyone else in the upper US notice how tough it was to work into
northern EU until late yesterday on 20M?  Weird.  Africa and southern EU no
problem.

Larry, N0XB