Orion

Re: [Orion] Audio woes...no more!

To: retire@means.net, orion565@yahoogroups.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Audio woes...no more!
From: WB3LGC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:15:33 EDT

My problem (back a few months) was similar, in the end.

My Orion goes back to August of last year.  I purchased a Heil  Goldline, I
purchased Heil Wire, I purchased a XLR (4 pin) for the mike, and a 4  pin mike
connector for the rig.

I wired as the manual said, except I used the second un-shielded wire for
the PTT return, and not the mike shield (TT, doesn't show Heil Wire in the
manual).

All was well, until I tried to "do" Kids Day back in January.  I got  POOR
audio reports.  Yes, I knew, as I was listening with the monitor on a  set of
earphones...  I went back to the headset for the event.  I  fixed the problem
with the mike a few weeks ago.

I thought I might have had a shorted connection in the connectors.  I  knew
the rig was ok, as the headset used the same HC-4 element and the headset  was
working just fine.

I found, the case connection on the XLR connector (mike cable shield) that
uses the clip to ground the mike case had worn the paint on the mike case such
that it was NOW making a ground connection.  It had been floating (the mike
case).

So, why is this a problem?  The case should be grounded.  The  problem is the
mike!  With all the hipe about balanced microphones, it  isn't.  Open it up
at the XLR connector on the back of the Goldline and you  will find a wire from
one of the microphone wires to the case of the  microphone.

I think the wire ground inside the mike caused a ground loop.  It  really
doesn't matter what happened.  By removing the wire between the mike  pin and
the
case, I SOLVED the problem.

So the answer, modify the Goldline mike not the rig.  Use the good  Heil
Wire. Make your own cables, it's worth it.

73, Steve WB3LGC

ps: I still like the HC-4 Headset.  For DX, I set transmit BW=2400,  Low
Cutoff=300, SP=7, Mike =~40.  For chatting, I set a wider BW (3000) on  TX,
SP=5,
and mike gain more like 65.  I get "nice signal" comments from  contest
stations, during the contest!  Beat that.  (I also made my own  adapter for the
headset.)

In a message dated 4/14/2005 12:42:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,