Orion

Re: [Orion] Orion with Top Ten Devices Band Decoder

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion with Top Ten Devices Band Decoder
From: Jay Terleski <jayt@arraysolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:24:22 -0600
The Orions band data "outputs" which are really just 1 to1, there really
is no band data bits.
These outputs are sinking.  In other words they want to sink 12VDC,
which you can get from the radio or other source. Like a separate supply
for the antenna switch.  Which is what I recommend.

We chose to isolate the band outputs with relays in the Array Solutions
Orion band data / relay driver box.  The reason is that many guys use
tower mounted remote antenna switches.   By isolating the Orion from the
antenna switch you can have more lighting or nearby strike isolation to
your expensive radio.

I strongly urge you to isolate the remote antenna switch and protect the
Orion.

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/orionlcrd.htm#top%20of%20page -
the manual is online for you too.

Jay, WX0B

Jim McDonald wrote:

> I'm waiting a response from Dave, N3RD, of Top Ten Devices but I thought I'd
> ask here in case someone has already had this experience.
>
> I converted my Yaesu band decoder to use with my Orion but it's not working
> in automatic mode.  I've measured the voltages from the Band Data 1 (or 2)
> at the input of the band decoder and see 1.4 V on each, except the selected
> band, which is 0 V.  Is that all there's supposed to be?  It does work fine
> selecting the antenna with the switch.
>
> I could have made a wiring error in the conversion from the Yaesu model,
> though I was very careful.  The Orion is only a month old, and I haven't
> used the band data jacks before, so they may or may not be working
> correctly.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jim N7US

Jay Terleski
Array Solutions
972 203 2008
Military Communications Systems, Phased Arrays, RF Switches, Antennas &
Towers
http://www.arraysolutions.com