Orion

Re: [Orion] Orion Receiver Audio Background Noise

To: Robert Carroll <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>, orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion Receiver Audio Background Noise
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:25:14 -0800 (PST)
Bob,

  Maybe you're talking about two different sources of noise.   The
background you hear when the AF gain is set very low is a known problem
which seems to be coming from Orion's audio section.  The workaround is
to use less sensitive headphones or to put in an attenuator in the
headphone wire to cut down the sensitivity.

  The noise you should hear on a dummy load is what you'll hear on any
receiver.  As you may know, it comes from thermal and other sources of
very weak noise in the front end of any receiver.  (Even with a perfect
frontend, you'll get 300 K thermal noise from the dummy load.) If you
don't hear this on any rig, it just means that there is not enough
gain.  Orion's AGC system (in default setup) operates to bring up the
noise more than you may be used to in other rigs.  You can cut back the
RF gain to reduce the noise level -- if you're not going after
ultra-weak signals.

Does this account for your problem?

73, Martin AA6E