Orion

[Orion] RFI from Orion mic input - bad info

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] RFI from Orion mic input - bad info
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 06:51:48 -0400
AC5AA wrote:
>On the other hand, other than a slightly "tight" encoder on the PBT/BW
knob, the rig is a real joy.

        I just checked all six of mine and indeed
one is noticeably tigher than the others, but
in my case it is RIT/XIT.  I never noticed it
since I never use that knob.  For the few times
I need RIT/XIT like tuning +/- my TX frequency
on VFO A while scanning another part of the band
on VFO B, I assign the XIT/RIT knob to the 302R
Pod, so I can use its BIG knob (same size as
Orion's).

        Since you pointed this out, I notice that
there is actually quite a large variation in
stiffness between the loosest and tightest of
the 6 knobs.  Let us know if you find a way to
adjust these, but it could simply be more use will
"break in" that knob.  It may just be coincidence,
but my Main AF is the loosest, followed by Multi
and PBT/BW.  I suspect that also correlates with
the knobs most used by me (however Cut is also
fairly loose and I never use that one either).
I've had my Orion about 8 months now and never
noticed this until you mentioned it!

73, Bill W4ZV