Orion

RE: [Orion] RX problems

To: K3BU@aol.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Orion] RX problems
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:16:01 -0600
Hi Yuri:

Welcome, It's nice to hear your back. ( This is public reply)

I've tracked down a couple issues and reported them to Gary and company, The problem appears to be occurring during the polling of the rig from the computer interface, disconnect that, and it seems to go away forever even with the sweep on.

I'm fairly certain there is a memory overrun in the routines that communicate with the PC.

Try this if you have the optional 500 or 250 Hz filters, Start up your favorite logging program that polls the Orion, Go to the filter menu, then to the C.F. adjust for either of them. rotate the multi knob to full positive offset, about +250Hz on the 250Hz filter and about +500Hz on the 500Hz filter, back off and go to max a few times and see if some text shows up where the offset is displayed... The text appears to be polling commands to/From the PC.

If it does, then you are seeing the problem that I beleive ultimately causes the RX / TX to lock up. You will have to do a power reset to clear the buffers again.

Another Symptom of the problem is the text "DSP T/O 0" is displayed next to the Send 2 key, If that shows, it was when the sweep was running, again with the PC Polling the rig. The TX and RX are hosed... That will need to do a power reset to clear up.

Hopefully Garry and Company at Ten Tec has a line on this by now and is rapidly producing the fix, Some communication from Ten Tec about known/reported problems and the status of resolution would do wonders for lifting our spirits.... Also, an e-mail reflector for when we submit a problem note to at least Say ditnbits got the message.

By the way, how'd you do on the contest? Were you QTH restricted this time?

I think I finally learned how to use the Orion for SSB Contesting this last time, Got the SSB channel down to 1Khz to fully quiet the QRM and still was getting good audio. Got lots of the DX on just 100W and the vertical. But not good at all on the 80/160M bands, Really need to get those loops finished, Got the stuff, just need to build them. Played alot with the 40M splits this time too, N1MM does a good job of setting up the Orion for the splits on the spots. Was picking them off like flies...

There is a new posting on E-Ham about the Orion, Thought it was interesting, It reflects some of the things you said about the Orion in your artical but makes a different point.

73's
Rich
K5SF