Orion

[Orion] Re: Orion raspy on CW? (Charlie, W0YG)

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Re: Orion raspy on CW? (Charlie, W0YG)
From: "D.W. Fearn" <dwfearn@dwfearn.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:04:23 -0500
A few months ago I was getting reports of awful keying with my Orion. Some described it as "fractured" and un-readable. On 80M one guy about 200 miles away said I had key clicks over the entire band. The sidetone sounded fine. No reports that it was raspy, however.

This went on for a while as I experimented into a dummy load and listening on another receiver. The keying was definitely bad. This persisted through a couple of firmware updates. I talked to Ten Tec service about it and they were convinced it was a bad coax. But it wasn't. The rig seemed to be generating huge spurious outputs because into an antenna the reflected power on a separate SWR bridge would kick violently only on key release. (It was fine into a dummy load.)

I was about to ship it back for repair when the problem suddenly went away and has never returned. I had changed nothing that I am aware of.

There are still some CW issues for me: about once every 15 minutes, the keying locks-up momentarily. Makes me sound like a fool.

A more subtle problem is evident when I am using a bug. I think there are times when the microprocessor gets too busy to follow the dots and the spacing is affected. It's not too obvious, but I notice it. My old Corsair II doesn't do that, nor does my ancient Viking Valiant. The old rigs do not shorten the first element, either.

The keying seemed to be much better when I first got the Orion. Perhaps some firmware updates have had unanticipated effects.

I have faith that Ten Tec will solve these problems.

Doug K3KW