Orion

Re: [Orion] Re: Orion in ARRL 10M

To: john ke5c <ke5c@hot.rr.com>,Orion contestingcom <orion@contesting.com>,Orion yahoo <orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Re: Orion in ARRL 10M
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:31:03 -0600
WHY!  Knowing the fact that it uses high speed devices, hence those
approaching RF bandwidths, I'm surprised to learn this.  I'd thought more
evaluation into RF related faults would or should have been done.  After
all, it is supposed to operate in an RF environment.  Just how much is yet
to be established.  There are requirements with regard to FCC radiation
exposure to humans and etc.  Of course, the various cables and interfaces to
the outside world must be taken in to account as well as they can contribute
to these ills.

>From my background the typical evaluation process is to connect a 1 meter
cable to all inputs and outputs and expose the system to some value of RF (I
forget the uV numbers we used) over a reasonable spectrum.  If it burps then
investigation as to which in/out is causing the grief and it gets fixed.
And too, there's various levels of problems observed such as:
(a) Minor mis-operation observation only.
(b) Fault with normal recovery not requiring the operator to make
corrections.
(c) Major fault with processor lock up but normal reset establishing correct
operation.
(d) Major failure related to component failure requiring replacement.

It is those "c" and "d" level items that must be avoided at all costs.
Based on what I've read lately, there's lots of "c" level concerns.

73
Bob, K4TAX